Monday, July 28, 2008

where did it go????

I have to share this funny story that happened while we were at the RMH. Madison was discharged a week ago today. We were instructed that she needed to be given her Flagyl for the c-diff every 6 hours no matter when it falls. You can imagine her enthusiasm when we would wake her up in the middle of the night to stick a syringe in her mouth. On Monday it was hot and stormy. We all crawled into the same full size bed because we were so excited to be together! As Jed and Maddie faded off into a deep sleep I listened to the nasty storm brewing outside. The deeper they slept the more the storm flared its anger.... I was a little annoyed to because I could not sleep. At about 1AM the power went off.....pitch black but more importantly ....NO FAN. Now I was really annoyed. Jed and Maddie were not bothered a bit. I laid in bed listening to all the kids in the hallways crying, parents trying to help kids calm down. After 3 hours of this Jed's cell phone alarm clock went off. The only person that budged was me.... I used the cell phone light to stumble to the refrigerator and get out the meds... I filled the syringe as best as I could tell to 5.6 mil and began to try and “administer” the drugs. Madison began kicking and screaming so I just laid across her arms and legs and shot it in her mouth. We had done this the few nights before and she never remembered in the morning. I hated being so mean but found slight peace in knowing that she would not remember. She rolled over and went right back to bed.
The next morning we all woke up to get ready to head to the hospital by 7 AM. After a few minutes of being awake Madison made a large gasp... I went right to her and could see the confusion in her eyes. She looked at me with her tongue sticking straight through a gapping hole in her mouth.... “where did my tooth go?”. I was in shock.....last night it was there. We had mentioned that it was getting loose. I looked through the bed, no tooth. On the floor, no tooth...... Then I looked on the counter and all of the pieces came together. A bloody syringe lay on the counter. Crime solved: aggressive mother knocks child's tooth out while administering drugs in the middle of a power outage...... I was in shock!
Later that morning we were sitting in Dr. Levitt office. I jokingly asked if he could see a missing tooth in her belly. He pulled out the x-ray and there it was....plain as day! So the following pictures are of the tooth INSIDE Madison as well as the note that Dr. Levitt wrote for the tooth fairy!





4 comments:

Kori said...

I laughed so hard at this story! Nikki I have been so impressed with your writing abilities as you have kept this blog up! You really have a way of making us feel like we are right there with you! What a precious man Dr Levitt is to write that letter to the tooth fairy too! So did the tooth fairy leave something for Maddie?

The Cruses said...

Oh my word! That is SO funny! I can only imagine Maddie's confused face in the morning! ha ha!

lily field furniture said...

this is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard- you HAVE to scrapbook that!!

Anonymous said...

That is to funny! Your are truely an inspiration!! God Bless you!

Meagan