Friday, January 16, 2009

kids say the darndest things...

I remember it well. It was years and years ago (humor me here, I am getting old!). Do you remeber it..... Bill Cosby and that great show, KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS. As a twelve year old I would watch the show and laugh my head off...however, I truly believed that the kids were bribed in some way to say the things they said. Well..... that was before I had kids of my own. I now believe, no - I know, that there was no bribing, those things simply just flow off of the tongues of small precious creatures! You know what I am talking about. The times that you laugh your self silly and the times that you want to crawl into a hole. I need to to better at writing them all down. Olivia seems to be flowing with them lately...

picture this...

I am snuggled on the couch with Olivia reading a backpack full of books. We are laughing, having fun and just loving this time together. We start reading a book about a kid that is, lets just say...fat! I love this book... it was talking about how people make fun of him and how sad he gets that he is the "big guy" and how much he hates it when his Aunt grabs his cheeks while asking.."how's my chunky guy?". I think to myself, "self... this is a perfect opportunity to teach a real lesson". So being all deep and serious I put the book down and say to Olivia, "sweetie God doesn't care about what we look like on the outside, he cares about what our what looks like?" I was pointing to her heart when I asked the question...hoping that she would understand the clue and be prompted to answer with the right answer so that I could smile and pat myself on the back for......training a child in the way he should go!!!

I was surprised when she looked at me so clueless, seeming confused and responded..."mommy, I didn't know God cares about what my boobies look like"......

So no patting myself on the back. Just a heartfelt high five to Bill Cosby and some explaining about what God really cares about!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, we are really lol reading this latest entry - what a riot! I love reading all the fun things you girls said when you were young.
Love the new look, too.
Love you~
Mom and Dad

THE SULLINS said...

SOOOO CUTE> How did I know that was coming. THis is SO great that you can keep track of these sweet, fun moments. Darn, we think that we will NEVER forget those side splitting funny moments, but somehow in the course of life, we do. So that's awesome that you have this to "document'> I LOVE THE BLOGS. LOVE keeping up to date with your family!!! :) All of you girls are SUCH GREAT MOMMIES!!!! Makes ME proud (and i'm not even your mama);0)

The Lawver's said...

lol that was hilarious! I can totally see her saying that. I am pretty sure that Teagan was watching ESPN... she is into basketball :)

Brad said...

That was funny!
You caught me red handed Nikki.

Rebecca said...

I love it! You got to read my most recent blog, "Sunday Lunch Conversation," there is a slight similarity there. : )