Wednesday, July 9, 2008

better morning followed by rough afernoon




Maddie slept pretty well. Jed set his alarm for every hour so that he could check on her...bless his heart! He was afraid he would sleep through her needing him! I am sure that he will need to grab a nap back at the hotel this afternoon. Madison was feeling pretty good this morning. It so funny because she has taken this vow to silence. She WILL NOT talk to anyone... not even us! I am not sure if she is just mad or if that is her coping mechanism?! We will let her do whatever she want though! She played for awhile in the child life room - pool and a little craft. When we got back to the room she started getting sick again. It is interesting that she had just reached the level of meds that she was at when she started getting sick yesterday. They have decided that she will have to have another enema since she has not gone potty since 10 this morning and her tummy is quite distended..... The poor girl never gets a break. She is finally sleeping now so I have demanded that they not wake her to give the enema... I will let them know when she wakes up. It is so frustrating..... I just wish for one day that things would work in her favor.


Just signed the surgery consent...They will take her at 7 and surgery will began at 8 to 8:30. They are estimating 3-5 hours depending on how much of the colon they have to remove. They are hoping to do all of the incisions through the rectum which would allow for allot less scaring and a less painful recovery... they will not know if that is possible until they get started! We are hoping that is the case. The Dr. confirmed that there will be NOTHING going in her mouth for 7-10 days after the surgery...no food, water, or ice - total colon rest! All her nutrition will be given through her PICC line. Pray that she is not miserable. We have been told that she will not feel hungry but that the mental agony is what gets you!
We will keep you posted! Love you all!

3 comments:

BrightCrayon said...

Nikki,

You don't know me, but I was surfing BlogSpot today at work, just for something to do. I happened upon your blog and was blown away.

Maddie seems like a tough little cookie and I know she'll get through this.

You and your family are in my thoughts and I can only see things getting better. You all seem to have the right attitude and wonderful family and friends supporting you.

Please tell Maddie to stay strong, she seems to be doing so well for everything she's going through. She will be such a strong young lady when she grows up and I'm sure nothing will stand in her way.

(PS the girls are adorable! I love the photos!)

-Cheryl

Sonya said...

Maddie, I will be praying for you tonight. Be strong and hang in there girl! You are so so amazing and I am incredibly proud of you! I know God will be holding you in his arms during the surgery and that is the absolute safest place for you to be.

Nikki and Jed you are amazing parents! I'll be praying for you to get some rest in the coming days and that you will feel a sense of peace in your anxious hearts.

Love you all,
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Hey guys
Just wanted you to know you are and will be in my thoughts and prayers esp in the next couple of weeks. I give you guys a lot of praise and credit for what you are doing. I cannot imagine being in your shoes! Keep us updated
Love Dana